Timeless Sketches...


Time hasn't been kind to me at all the past couple of weeks. It has suddenly developed this habit of playing hide & seek hence I haven't really been able to write. Of-course on top of that my state of mind too hasn't been conducive enough for translating my thoughts into words. For some strange reason I'm taking unusually long this time to adjust back to my normal routine after having spent three months away from home. Nevertheless holidays are over now, work had begun in full throttle while being away from S has managed to take away the fun out of everything I enjoy. Anyways, enough of that. Fact is I need to write to keep myself sane. So with Write Tribe as the saving grace I'm planning to break this drought of posts. Wish me luck!

The Wednesday Prompt this week is to choose two photos we treasure, and write a poem, a post about it. Talk about the memories that surround it. So here I go.


Sun, sand and crystal clear waters – the perfect combination for fun. Add to that two newly weds who moved heaven and earth to tie the knot transcending every ridiculous barrier of the society and what you get is what you see in this photograph. It was taken on our honeymoon in Mauritius while we were on a Catamaran Cruise. Oh even thinking about that day spent on a Catamaran followed by a picnic on a beautiful and deserted island brings a smile on to my face. This picture was taken on our way back to the main island. We really enjoyed a lot that day. It was as if we discovered a treasure trove of laughter on that island. I guess we deserved it after going through the pressure and pain of doing things right and beginning a life together. We played in the crystal clear waters and on the white sandy beaches accompanied by music. We danced to creole tunes while sipping wine and every drink imaginable. The best part was we talked our hearts out and instead of having lunch on the picnic benches under the shed, we sat on the beach without any cover and enjoyed the meal together. Remember Ross and Rachel running out of the wedding chapel in Las Vegas? Well we were giggling and talking just like them on that day except we were on a beach. That memory is as crystal clear and sparkling as the azure blue that surrounded us that day. And I know for sure that even after several decades this picture and a trip down memory lane to that day will always make us happy.

What do I say about this photograph? It was taken on one of our trips to the city market. Growing up dad would often come back from office and take us out either to a restaurant, the market or to the house of a family friend. It was during one of those outings that this picture was clicked. I guess it sums up everything about the rapport between my sister and I. She's my baby and I'm her crazy impulsive elder sister. Our relationship is what keeps me grounded at times when I feel completely out of control. Truth be told it is she and S that help me stay sane. Consequences take a back seat when it's her happiness at stake. I still think she is that baby in the photograph but of-course she has become this beautiful woman with a good head on her shoulders. Sometimes I'm amazed at the level of depth in her thinking and the extent to which she has become responsible. And then I look at this picture and realize no matter how big she thinks she is she will still be my baby sister, mine to keep from harm.


Memories, yours and mine
Delicate and precious.
As life passes
Through pages of time,
Looking back,
For old times we pine.
Staring at sepia tones
Of when stars aligned!
***
Write Tribe
Write Tribe

Labels: