Half Full or Half Empty?

Is the glass half full or half empty?

I often find myself asking the very same question. But truth be told, more often than not, I end up choosing the latter as my answer. There I said it, I’m not as optimistic as I would perhaps love to be. But that's me!

I don’t know how some people do it, having the faith that something good will always happen. Of-course I do have my moments when I choose to believe in the good, in the fact that everything happens for the better. But it would only be fair to say that those are few and far in between.

Isn't it hard to keep holding on to the sanguine idea of life with all that is happening around?

A look at the newspapers would tell you what I mean. A woman vanishes into thin air only to be found later, raped and murdered. The police don’t give a hoot about our problems. The politicians, even the new kids on the block, are too busy in propagating their own agenda and nursing their pride rather than doing their jobs. And the place we work in more often than not sucks. What we love to do never pays and we detest what we do even though it pays. So how does one remain optimistic in such circumstances?

I have thought about it a lot and I think the key lies in the answers to the below questions. Simple really.

Do you have a family that loves you?

Are they alright?

Do you have loved ones who always choose to stand by you?

Do you have faith in their being with you come hell or high water?

Do you have the basic necessities of life?

I think the only think that keeps us sane in this world are positive answers to the above questions. And when that happens, I think that’s pretty much as much optimism as anyone needs in life. Also if that is so then I think I’m a bit more optimistic than I first thought I was. What say you?

***

Labels: