Literat(ur)e Again...


Of what is,
And what can be,
Potpourri of possibilities,
Of flights of fancy and dreams,
Devoid of shackled brims,
Thy literature supreme!

Every time I think of UK I see fleeting images of my favorite authors; writers I have grown up reading and admiring. So if I were to be given another chance at student life it would definitely have to be through English Literature at the Oxford University!

Studying and aiming to excel at literature in the country of great playwrights and novelists like William Shakespeare, J.R.R. Tolkien, J.K Rowling, Charles Dickens, Jane Austen and more, has always been a secret wish of mine. If only better sense had prevailed and I had listened to my heart back when I was a student this dream would have come true by now. And instead of a reluctant IT professional I would have been doing something I actually love. Nevertheless I can still dream, can't I?

English Literature has appealed to my sensibilities ever since I can remember. Maybe it has something to do with having English not only as mandatory subject in the curriculum but also as my alternative in school. From David Copperfield to Animal Farm,Wuthering Heights to Sherlock Holmes, I have grown up immersed in the pages of these classics and many more.

It wouldn't be far-fetched to say that I have spent my childhood years with David Copperfield as he moved from Blunderstone to Salem House and beyond. I have seen Old Major die prompting Snowball and Napoleon to prepare for a revolution against Mr. Jones in the Animal Farm. I have been in awe of the turbulent love between Catherine and Heathcliff on the Yorkshire Moors and have fallen in love with Sherlock Holmes through Conan Doyle's pen too. So without even batting an eyelid I can say that if the chance had come my way of studying anything, anything at all, in the UK it would have had to be English Literature without hesitation. Who knows by just being there I would have perhaps chanced upon the magical dust that immortalized the works of authors like J.K Rowling, William Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, J.R.R Tolkein and Agatha Christie and many more.

And once in the UK I have to say studying in the University of Oxford would have been an icing on the cake. And why not for it gave us one of the greatest authors of all times, J.R.R. Tolkien and a host of others. I get Goosebumps just picturing how surreal it would be to merely walk through the very halls that gave us the creator of masterpieces like The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion. Exciting to even think about it, isn't it?

So there I said it, English Literature at the Oxford University it is for me, if not in this life then I hope in the next.

Give me a chance,
A chance my plea,
To be always,
Who I,
Wanted to be.
To read and write,
My passion thee.
Literature!
To set me free.
Yes, those gates,
To cross again,
Turn the pages,
To a clean slate,
To learn, to learn
For knowledge is great.

***
http://knowledgeisgreat.in/

Labels: