Woman Perceived


A guest post on UBC Day 22.

When Janaki asked me to write a guest post for her I of-course agreed. How could I not? It was through Indiblogeswaris that I first got to know about her. We even met last year in Bangalore. She has this warm aura around her. And you cannot help but be charmed by her intoxicating smile.

I didn't know what to write though, for her blog is immensely popular and I didn't want to pen down something unworthy of her sacred space. So I sat with 'Memoirs of A Homemaker' for hours trying to think of something but couldn't. That's when I realized that I just need to start writing what comes to my mind and I guess that's what I did. Hope it does justice to her wonderful blog.

Thank You Janaki for hosting me.

***

Woman Perceived


Do you often wonder about the prejudice against women which is so rampant in India? How women are pigeonholed blatantly? I do. But honestly I haven't yet found the reason behind the predisposition. Though I do know that certain aspects of our lives still abet this decay further.

But why am I suddenly writing about this today? Well it so happened that I walked into the alcohol section of a super market this afternoon to pick up a bottle of wine, alone. Though not surprising really but all along I was followed by accusatory glances. It made me realize something. My walking in and scouting bottles of wine unflinchingly was sacrilege for those who hold a particular notion of 'Good Indian Women'. The reason for those spiteful glances ,in my view, was that a woman was out buying alcohol, something which is not particularly sanctioned by our '(pseudo)rich culture'.

Read the rest of the post here.

***



My fellow Bloggers Richa SinghShilpa GargSheethal and Suzy are taking part in UBC. Drop in and cheer them too if you please :).Trust me nothing motivates us bloggers more than a comment from our readers!


Labels: